What to see in Vladimir
Most importantly, what the city of Vladimir is famous for is its masterpieces of ancient Russian white stone
architecture. Vladimir is a city with a millennial history. It was founded in the late of the X century
by the Prince of Kiev Vladimir Svyatoslavich on the high bank of the Klyazma river on the border
of Zalesie and Opolie. In the beginning of the XII century the town was fortified by Vladimir Monomakh,
and in the middle of the XII century Vladimir became the capital of Vladimir-Suzdal Principality,
and the capital of the whole North-Eastern Russia.
The Church of the Saints Boris and Gleb
The church in the village of Kideksha near Suzdal, probably will not impress at first glance – single-domed, small, made of white stone. It is necessary just to get acquainted closer with it, to find out what is behind the nondescript facade...
The settlement of Kideksha, Suzdal district, Vladimir region, Russia.
Memorial House-Museum-Estate of N.E. Zhukovskiy
Memorial house-museum-estate of N. E. Zhukovsky in the village of Orekhovo is a rare type of historic monument not only of the Vladimir region, but also the central regions of Russia...
Glukhovo village, Sobinskiy district, Vladimir region, Russia.
Taneev's family estate, lost in a remote village of Marinino near Kovrov. Perhaps this saved it from the usual sad fate of the noble's nests, which remained in the Vladimir region very few.
Marinino settlement, Kovrov district, Vladimir region, Russia.
V.S. Khrapovitskiy's Manor
The nobles Khrapovitskiy owned the settlement Muromtsevo since the middle of XIX century. The manor's heyday is associated with the names of its last owners – Vladimir Semenovich Khrapovitsky (1858-1922), a retired Colonel of the hussars, the Marshal of the nobility of the Vladimir region, and his wife Elizaveta Ivanovna (1857-1935).
Muromtsevo settlement, Sudogodsky district, Vladimir region, Russia.
The House of the manufacturer Dumnov
Museum-estate of the textile-manufacturer Dumnov is the only Russian Museum complex of the hand silk weaving history - a unique ancient craft.
Zarechie village, centralnaya street, house 19, Vladimir region, Kirzhachskiy district, 60 km from Moscow ring road, go along the Gorkovskoe highway, through the city of Noginsk or Schelkovskoe highway, through the town of Chernogolovka.
White-stone monuments of the XII century – The Golden Gate, the Cathedral, the monastery and the princely Church – implemented the metropolitan dignity of the city, combining in time, "the Mother of the Russian cities" Kiev and the future capital of Russia, firstly the "suburb" of Vladimir, Moscow. The urban development plan of the Prince, the absolute ruler Andrei Bogolyubsky open the Chronicles: The Golden Gate - “will be the memory of my homeland”, The Assumption Cathedral- “I want to declare this city metropolis”, Bogoliubovo- “The Stone town”, and Vladimir itself - “This city will be the main”.
Junior Andrey's brother Vsevolod the Big Nest preserved and multiplied the metropolitan splendor of the city, creating the citadel with the St.Demetrius Cathedral, the Nativity monastery with the white-stone Church, the Knyaginin convent in the North-Western corner of the city, and the main Shrine of the Principality – The Assumption Cathedral – made it bigger and more beautiful.
The Mongol invasion of the XIII century had undermined the might of Vladimir: the architectural tradition was stopped, many handicrafts were forgotten, the town was desolated. However, Vladimir retained its political primacy among the Russian cities: to become a great Prince, to obtain the Golden Horde “ label” on the Great reign of Vladimir was needed. In 1263, "the sun of the Russian land went down" – died the hero of "The Battle on the Ice", a skillful diplomat and a military leader, the Prince of Vladimir (1252-1263) Alexander Nevsky (the grandson of Vsevolod the Big Nest). For 460 years before transferring to St. Petersburg, his ashes had been buried in the Nativity monastery in Vladimir.
With the rise of Moscow Vladimir was subordinated to the new capital. At the turn of the XV–XVI centuries resumed the construction: this the time has left to descendants the full of poetry The Assumption Cathedral of the Knyaginin monastery.